Children and Young People

Useful Advice and Resources 

Find support for children and families at The Selsey Children and Families Centre

An A-Z Complete index of information on all mental disorders; advice for all ages; advice for parents at the Royal College of Psychiatrists

Local advice for young people on all matters of life, leisure and health at YourSpace

Advice and information on drugs for young people and parents at Talk to Frank


Resources and Services for Children and Young People

Integration Prevention and Earliest Help

Integrated Prevention and Earliest Help (IPEH) is available to support families and children with all sorts of problems that can affecting emotional health, behaviour, early or mild mental health problems. IPEH professionals can create an Early Help Plan

Early Help Plans

What is an Early Help Plan (EHP)?

It is a combination of 

  • the assessment
  • the outcomes everyone hopes to achieve, including the child/ren or young person/s
  • the action plan

Following an assessment, the next step is to agree with the family what would improve their situation, and think of actions that could start to make things better.

Details of Early Help services for West Sussex can be found by clicking here.

School Counselling

School Counselling and support can be found through your child’s school.

Ask to talk to the form teacher, the head teacher or the head of pastoral care for advice. They should be able to explain how your child can access the help that is available.

Schools can initiate an Early Help Plan, which helps children, and their families get access to help when emotions and behaviours are difficult to manage.

The Bridge is a Youth Support Service based at The Academy, School Lane, Selsey.

Youth Emotional Support

Youth Emotional Support (YES) is a free service for young people aged 11-18 who have issues that affect their wellbeing.

YES can help with issues such as-

  • Self-harming
  • Low mood and mild depression
  • Anxiety
  • Low Self-esteem


Find out more at the Find it Out Centre at YourSpace website for young people

Young Peoples' Mental Health is also support by Coastal West Sussex MIND

Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS)

CAMHS is a specialist service provided for children and young people under the age of 18, who have moderate or severe mental health conditions or for a child or young person who is having suicidal thoughts or behaviours. 

Children and Young people usually get referred to CAMHS when other support or approaches have not helped and when two or more areas of life are affected eg at school and at home. 

Although GPs can refer to CAMHS, you don’t need to see a GP to find out if your child is eligible to be referred to CAMHS-

The professional who works with your child or knows the most about them eg the Teacher, School Counsellor, the School Nurse, a Social Worker is the best person to contact the Community MH Liaison Service advice line to discuss the best way forward. 

Community Mental Health Liaison Service (CMHLS) is an advice and guidance line available for any professional working with a child or young person under the age of 18, who is experiencing mild to moderate mental health difficulties.

CMHLS advice line Tel number: 03003040304


Early Intervention Psychosis

Psychosis in a Young Person can be very worrying and frightening.

Getting professional help as soon as possible leads to to the best chance of recovery

A young person developing psychosis will have their own unique set of symptoms and experiences, according to their particular circumstances.

If you are concerned that you or a young person close to you might be suffering from a psychosis, follow the link, check the signs and symptoms, and talk to the GP or phone the Early Intervention in Psychosis Service for advice and access to help.

Four main symptoms are associated with a psychotic episode:

  • hallucinations
  • delusions
  • confused and disturbed thoughts
  • lack of insight and self-awareness

For a young person causing concern with possible psychosis symptoms, anyone can refer them or they can refer themselves to;

Early Intervention Psychosis Service (EIP)

The Bedale Centre, 1 Glencathara Rd, Bognor Regis PO21 2SF.

tel 0300 3040374

For more information look at the EIP website.

Urgent Mental Health Care

If you are very concerned and feel that you or someone you know needs urgent mental health care, contact;

  • Your GP between 8 am and 6.30 pm on weekdays 01243 608201

  • 111, A&E or 999 if outside these hours

If you are thinking about suicide and no one is available to help, ring the Samaritans on 116 123. They available to listen and give support and are available 24 hours a day, everyday.